Side Plate With Regimental Crest for The Queens Own Cameron Highlanders By Thomas Goode & Co Of London For Mintons

Age:
1912-1950
Material:
Porcelain
Dimensions:
Diameter: 22.5cm
Shipping:
Standard Parcel
Price:
£ 25
This item is available to view and buy at:
Carse of Cambus
Doune
Stirlingshire
FK16 6HG
Side Plate With Regimental Crest for The Queens Own Cameron Highlanders By Thomas Goode & Co Of London. Below the crest is their regimental number in Roman Numerals LXXIX (79).
The Queens Own Cameron Highlanders was raised as the 79th Regiment of Foot (Cameronian Volunteers) on 17 August 1793 at Fort William by Sir Alan Cameron of Erracht. On 1 July 1881, as part of the Childers reforms, the 79th Foot was redesignated as 1st Battalion, Queen‘s Own Cameron Highlanders, the county regiment of Inverness-shire. They were the only infantry regiment still to have a single regular battalion and it is often claimed that this was because they were Queen Victoria‘s favourite. The regiment was amalgamated with the Seaforth Highlanders on 7 February 1961 to form the Queen‘s Own Highlanders.
Thomas Goode & Co was established in 1827, recognised as the home of the world’s finest china, silverware and glass. In the mid-19th century, the business was transformed into London’s tableware emporium by Thomas Goode’s son, William Goode, who designed china ranges for both Queen Victoria and the Tsar of Russia. Originally at 19 South Audley Street in Mayfair, the shop moved to 66-67 Burlington Arcade, Piccadilly. It has held two royal warrants.